There are various institutions providing the Welding and Welders’ Certification courses and programme. Since there is no standard national certification scheme existing in India, there are few eminent organisations that has designed various courses on welding to meet the needs of the industry.
Here is a list of the nodal bodies along with the courses/ certifications they offer. More can be obtained from their official website which is mentioned alongwith.
1. The Indian Institute of Welding, India
National Welders’ Training & Certification Scheme
The Institute is already engaged in training of welding professional personnel and conducting AMIIW examination which is considered as equivalent to an Engineering Degree, and is approved by HRD Ministry of Government ofIndia. The Institute also conducts tailor made courses for welding professionals at various levels ranging from Welder to Welding Engineer based on specific requirements for a particular industry. IIW also assists and jointly conducts in-house welding training programmes in industrial establishments covering both theoretical and practical skill all overIndia.
IIW-India has also been empanelled by Government of India, DGE&T (Directorate General of Employment and Training) as an Assessing Body for all Fabrication sector courses under their MES-SDI (Modular Employment Skills – Skill Development Initiative Scheme).
IIWs NWTCS has been prepared to meet the demand by industry for welders, trained and certified to a level of competency commensurate with the requirements of any of the welder qualification and certification specifications or codes i.e. IS:7310 / IS:817, ISO:9606-1, BSEN:287 and ASME Sec IX/AWS D1.1.
Further information about the courses offered by IIW through its Approved Training Institutes can be found here.
AM IIW degree
The Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India vide their below Gazette notification have decided that the Associate Membership Examinations, conducted by the Indian Institute of Welding, Calcutta is to be treated as a recognised qualification for the purpose of employment under the Central Government to the posts and services for which Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering in the appropriate field is a prescribed qualification.
The course curriculum & syllable of the examination have been designed for the Human Resource Development in the multidisciplinary field of welding engineering and Career opportunities besides incentives for persons in the profession.
More information about this degree can be found here.
2. Welding Research Institute (WRI), India
The Institute has been disseminating knowledge in welding & allied fields since its inception. Several in-house programmes and package programmes tailor made to customer needs have been conducted to enable a vast cross section of the industries to benefit from the expertise assimilated by the Institute. Training is also imparted for welders in all types of arc welding processes as per codes such as AWS, IBR, BIS, API, etc.
Following courses are being conducted byWRIfor the current year
Welding & Inspection (Various Levels)
Certified Welding Inspectors (Various Levels)
Ultrasonic Testing – Level II
Radiographic Film Interpretation
More information and details about the courses can be found here.
WQC Institute of NDT and Inspection Technology (Corporate Partner of AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING (ASNT)) in Ernakulam, Kerala conducts various certification courses in the field of welding and NDT.
Courses that are conducted by WQC includes the following:
- Certification Course For Welding Inspector
- Certification Course For Welding Foreman/Supervisor
- Diploma in WELDING INSPECTION
- Diploma QA/QC Inspector
- Diploma in Welding courses ( SMAW(MMA), TIG(GTAW),MIG/MAG(GMAW)) (Course Modules: 1F,2F,3F, 4F, 1G,2G,3G,4G,5G,6G & Allied training Gas cutting,Gas welding, Beveling, Gouging)
- Welding Courses
SMAW Entry Level
SMAW Advanced Level
Air-Carbon ARC Gouging
- Courses on Piping Engineering
Awareness program on all Piping components
Drawings (ISOMETRIC, P&ID, GENERAL ARRANGEMENT DRAWING)
Codes, Standards and Specifications (ASME,API,ASTM,AWS) etc.
More information about the courses can be found here.
4. The Welding Institute (TWI), UK –India Division
TWIis considered the world’s largest training organisation in welding, welding inspection and non-destructive testing. Courses byTWIare supported by internationally recognised certification including CSWIP, BGAS-CSWIP,PCN,ASNT.
The courses offered byTWIincludes
- Welder Training and Qualification
Manual Metal Arc Welding Courses
TIG Welding Courses
- TWIDiploma in Welding Engineering
- Welding coordination and Supervision
- Welding Inspection
- Materials Weldability
- Welding procedured & Welder Qualification
- Materials Joining
- Underwater Inspection and NDT
- Plastics Welder Training
- IIW/EWF Diploma in Welding
More information about these and many more courses offered by TWIcan be found here.
5. ESAB Welding Institute, India
ESAB India Limited, the counterpart of the ESAB Group had established the “Esab Welding Institute” at Kolkata to disseminate technical know-how in the field of welding and cutting technology.
The certification courses offered by EWI cater to both engineers/ supervisors and welders. Few courses lined up for each category are as given below.
For Engineers and Supervisors:
- Welding Technology for Engineers and Supervisors
- Reclamation Welding Technology for Engineers and Supervisors
- Productivity Through Mig/Mag Process for Engineers and supervisors
- Welding Inspection for Engineers and Supervisors
- Welding Technology for Marine Engineers
- Refreshers Course on Welding Technology for Senior Marine Engineers
- Welding Technology for Supervisors
- Certification of Welder / Fitter For Marine (Without Experience)
- Welding Technology For Welders
- Reclamation Welding Technology For Welders
- Foundation Course On Oxy-Fuel Gas Welding Process For Welding
- Advanced Brazing Course
- Foundation Course on Smaw for Beginners
- Welding of Stainless Steel /Cast Iron/Hardfacing
- Radiographic Quality Welding by Smaw
- Pipe Welding by Shielded Metal arc Welding Process
- Foundation Course on Ms/Ss by Gas Shielded Tungsten arc Welding (Gtaw)
- Welding of Stainless Steel/Aluminium by Shielded Tungsten arc Welding
- High Pressure Welding on Ms/Ss
- Foundation Course for Welders Conversant with Smaw Process
- Welding of Stainless Steel and Aluminium by Gmaw Process
- Foundation Course on Gmaw Process (Mig/Mag) for Non Welders
- Foundation Course for Submerged arc Welding Process
- Foundation Course for Plasma arc Cutting
- Foundation Course for Fitters
More information about each course can be found here.
6. Trinity Institute of NDT Technology, India
Trinity Institute of NDT Technology, the Training and Human Resources Development (HRD) institute of ‘Trinity NDT’, is organizing and conducting regular and specialized NDT Level I, II training courses as perASNTRecommended practice SNT-TC-1A and welding inspector and other materials testing, inspection technology training and certification courses. The institute is recognized internationally for most experiencedASNTNDT LevelIIItrainers, welding inspectors and material testing experts.
Welding Inspection Technology training & Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) Examination programmes as conducted by Trinity NDT are as given under.
- Certified welding inspector (AWS-CWI) and Senior certified welding inspector(AWS-SCWI)
Certified welding inspector (AWS-CWI) and Senior certified welding inspector(AWS-SCWI) courses are organized inIndia. Conference and examinations are conducted by AWS and the certification is the welding industry’s most respected sign of approvals.
- The Certification Scheme for Personnel (CSWIP
The Certification Scheme for Personnel (CSWIP) is a comprehensive scheme which provides for the examination and certification of individuals seeking to demonstrate their knowledge and/or competence in their field of operation. The scope of CSWIP includes all levels of Welding Inspectors, Welding Supervisors, Plant Inspectors, Welding Instructors, Underwater Inspectors and NDT personnel. CSWIP certifies the personnel for the duties of Visual Welding Inspector-3.0 (Level 1), Welding Inspector-3.1 (Level 2), Senior Welding Inspector-3.2.1 (Level 3) without radiographic interpretation or Senior Welding Inspector-3.2.2 (Level 3) with radiographic interpretation.
More information about the courses and certification programme conducted by Trinity NDT can be found here.
7. Advance Institue Of Welding Technology, India
AIWT offers short term basic & advance welding courses at welders level and welding technology, quality inspection and NDT Certificate Training Programmes at Managers, Engineering Supervisors Level. It is an IIW India approved training institute for conducting “Welder Standard & Advanced Courses” under the curriculum of and certification by IIW – International.
The courses offered by AIWT includes
- Gas Metal Arc (MIG) / FCAW welding processes :
- Gas Tungsten (TIG) Arc welding process
- Shielded Metal Arc welding (SMAW) process
- Welding technology & visual inspection for engineers & managers
- Gas welding & cutting operations
- Pipe welding by SMAW (6g – up hill) process
- Resistance spot welding process
- Submerged Arc welding process
More information about the courses can be found here.
8. American Welding Society, Florida
AWS is a nonprofit organisation that caters to the need of welding education and technology development. It has a worldwide presence and its certifications are also widely recognized. It caters to the various needs of welding courses at various levels. The certifications offered by AWS includes
- Certified Welding Inspector
- Certified Associate Welding Inspector
- Senior Certified Welding Inspector
- CWI/SCWI Endorsement
- Certified Welding Educator
- Certified Radiographic Interpreter
- Certified Welding Supervisor
- Certified Welding Sales Representative
- Certified Welding Engineer
- Certified Robotic Arc Welding
- Certified Welding Fabricator
- Certified Welder
AWS has its worldwide presence through AWS International agents who are contracted to provide the CWI/SCWI/ CWE/CW/CWEng seminars and examinations on behalf of the American Welding Society.
The list of authorized agents in India are the following (as given in AWS official website):
- Industrial Quality Concepts
Address: IQC Training & Services, Pte, Ltd
Shivani Block -1, Ist Floor
40 East Coast Road
Fax Number: 91-44-5215-8715
Contacts: Sundaran Baskaran
- BETZ Engineering & Technology Zone
NearSt ThomasMount Railway Station
Email: [email protected]
Contacts: RG.Ganesan Head-Inspection Services. 9840175179/9962200944, [email protected]
CM.Selvaraj HR & Marketing, 9884021740, [email protected]
- DASH Inspectorate PVTLTD
Address: 3rd Floor,IswarKrupaBuildingNear Bank ofIndia,
Email: [email protected]
- Intertek India Pvt. Ltd.
Address: E-20, Block B1,
Mohan Co-operative Industrial Estate,
Mathura Road,New Delhi110044
Contact: KK Gupta
Telephone: +91 11 4159 5447
More information about AWS courses and certification can be found here.
9. Bibby Ship Management, India
Bibby Ship Management India provides services to the international marine. Their introduction and advanced Welding Programmes are designed to provide seafarers and industry personnel with the skills required to perform high standard Shielded Metal Arc Welds.
Some of the courses lined up by this firm are
- Beginners to Shielded Metal Arc Welding
- Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) 6G
- Advance (SMAW + GTAW) 6G
- Advance Combination course (SMAW + GTAW)
- TIG (Basic to Advance)
- Pipe Fabrication (Basic to Advance)
- Welder Practice course
- Welders Trade Test: 1G to 6G
More information about these courses can be found here.